F. No. 1/1(1))/2022-P&PW (E)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, PG & Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan
Khan Market, New Delhi-110 003
The undersigned is directed to say that Department of Pension has notified the Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 2021 in supersession of the Central Civil Service (Pension) Rules, 1972. Rule 50 of the Central Civil Service (Pension) Rules, 2021 deals with payment of family pension on death of a Government servant/pensioner.
2. In accordance with Rule 50(15) of the Central Civil Service (Pension) Rules, 2021, a Government servant enters Government service, is required to give details of his family in Form 4 to the Head of Office, which shall include all relevant details relating to following members of his/her family (whether or not eligible for family pension):
(i) Wife or husband, including a judicially separated wife or husband;
(ii) Son or daughter, whether or not eligible for family pension on the date of submission of Form 3 and the details of all children (including those from a deceased or divorced wife or from a void or voidable marriage);
(iv) Disabled siblings.
The Government servant is also required to communicate to the Head of Office any subsequent change in the size of his family, including the fact of marriage of his child.
3. On receipt of the said Form 4, the Head of Office is required to verify that it has been properly filled by the Government servant in accordance with this rule and acknowledge receipt of the said Form 4 indicating the date of its receipt and get it pasted on the service book of the Government servant concerned. All further communications received from the Government servant in this behalf are also required to be acknowledged by the Head of Office indicating the date of their receipt. The Head of Office on receipt of communication from the Government servant regarding any change in the size of family shall have such a change incorporated in Form 4 under his signature and the fact regarding disability or change of marital status of a family member shall be indicated in the ‘Remarks’ column of Form 4;
4. The Government servant 1s required to submit the upto date details of the family in Form 4 again along with the pension papers, before retirement from Government service. Where a Government servant 1 marries or remarries or a child 1s born to the Government servant after retirement, he shall give intimation to this effect to the Head of Office in Form 5 along with a copy of the marriage certificate or birth certificate, as the case may be, from an authority competent to issue such certificate.
5. Where the family of a Government servant undergoes a change after his retirement rendering a member of the family to be eligible for family pension on account of events such as birth of a child or disability of a child or sibling or divorce of a daughter or death of husband of a daughter, the retired Government servant or, if the Government servant has already died, his or her spouse or any other member of the family in receipt of the family pension, may give an intimation to this effect along with the supporting documents to the Head of Office and the Head of Office shall return a copy of the intimation acknowledging the receipt of the said intimation.
6. Notwithstanding the above provisions, in case after the death of a Government servant or a pensioner, a member of the family, whose name is not included in Form 4, submits a claim for family pension, the claim of a member of the family shall not be rejected on the ground that the details of such member of the family are not available in Form 4 or office records, if the Head of Office is otherwise satisfied about the eligibility of the member of the family for grant of family pension.
7. All Ministries/Departments are requested that the above provisions relating to grant of family pension to a member of the family, whose name is not included in Form 4 or office records, may be brought to the notice of the personnel dealing with the pensionary benefits in the Ministry/ Department and attached/subordinate offices thereunder, for strict implementation.
Under Secretary to Government of India