No.1(17)/ 2012/D (Pen/Policy)
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare
New Delhi, Dated 17th January 2013
The Chief of the Army Staff,
The Chief of the Naval Staff,
The Chief of the Air Staff,
Subject: - Implementation of Government decision on the recommendations of the Committee of Secretaries 2012 on the issues related to Defence Service Personnel and Ex-Servicemen – Revision of provisions regulating Casualty Pensionary awards for post-2006 JCO/OR.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Ministry’s letter No 16(6)/2008(2)/D(Pen/Policy) dated 5th May 2009, issued in implementation of Government decision on the recommendations of 6th CPC for revision of provisions regulating Pensionary Awards relating to Special Family pension, Liberalized Family Pension and 2nd Life awards in respect of JCO/OR discharged/invalided out from service or died in harness on or after 1.1.2006.
2. A Committee of Secretaries headed by Cabinet Secretary was constituted by the Government to consider various issues on pension of Armed Forces personnel and Ex-Servicemen, who have recommended establishing a linkage in the rate of the family pension of post-2006 JCO/OR, family pensioners with the pension. The above recommendations of the Committee has been accepted by the Government and the President is pleased to decide that based on the rank, group, length of service and nature of award sanctioned to the deceased JCO/OR pensioner, the revised service pension/service element of disability/liberalized disability/war injury pension as the case may be, shall be determined in terms of this Ministry’s letter No 1(13)/2012/D(Pen/Pol) dated 17.01.2013 on notional basis. In cases of JCO/OR died while in service, the entitlement of revised notional pension shall be determined by considering the individual as deemed invalided out of service under the same circumstance in which the casualty was occurred. With effect from 24.09.2012, the rates of Special family pension & Liberalized family pension in respect of post-2006 JCO/OR family pensioners including honorary Commissioned Officers and Non Combatants (Enrolled), shall be worked out as 120% and 200% respectively of the revised notional pension determined as per above provisions. The 2nd life awards of family pension shall also be worked out as per the rates prescribed vide Para 5.7 & 6.5 of this Ministry’s letter No 1(2)/97/D(Pen-C) dated 31.1.2001 in terms of the rates of Special/Liberalized family pension determined as above.
3. The post-2006 JCO/OR family pensioners drawing Special/Liberalized family pension/2nd Life awards of Special/Liberalized family pension in terms of Para 9 of this Ministry above mentioned letter dated 5.5.2009, happens to be more than the family pension determined in terms of these order, the family pensioners shall continue to draw the beneficial award.
4. The other terms and conditions prescribed vide Para 9 of this Ministry’s above mentioned letter dated 5.542009 read with provisions contained in Para 5 & 6 of this Ministry’s above said letter dated 31.1.2001, which are not affected by the provisions of this letter, shall remain unchanged.
5. These orders shall take effect from 24.09.2012 and shall also cover cases of post-1.1.2006retiree/death in service cases. The financial benefit in past cases shall, however, be granted from 24.09.2012 only.
6. The Special/Liberalized family pension and 2nd Life awards of Special/Liberalized family pension of all JCO/OR including honorary Commissioned Officers and Non Combatants (Enrolled) who were discharged/invalided out/died while in service on or after 1.1,2006, shall be re-calculated in terms of these orders by the Pension Sanctioning Authorities concerned, Necessary implementation instructions to all concerned shall be issued by Pr.CDA (Pension) Allahabad on receipt of these orders.
7. Pension Regulations of the three Services shall be amended in due course.
8. This issues with the concurrence of Finance Division of this Ministry vide their I D No. PC 2/10(12)/2012/FIN/PEN dated 10.01.2013
Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Government of India