At a meeting called the Northern Railway Workers Union to discuss the demands including allowances and old pension under the 7th pay commission asked the government to increase the fitment factor from 2.57 to 3.8.
These employees have already announced that they will only support the party which will fulfill their demands. The former Delhi chief minister and Congress leader Sheila Dikshit joined them and assured that if Congress forms the government in 2019, it will try to fulfill their demands.
Shri. SN Mallik, president of the Northern Railway Workers Union, confirmed that Dr M Raghavaiah, General Secretary of National Federation of Indian Railway Men had also met Railway Minister Piyush Goyal and informed him about their demands.
Mallik said that the minister had promised to look into the demands. He added that the ministry had assured the employees time and again but has failed to fulfill the demands. If it happens again, the union will intensify the protest, he said.
Below are the key demands of the employees:
- Minimum salary be hiked to Rs 26,000 from Rs 18,000
- 7th pay commission fitment factor be increased to 3.7 from 2.57
- Old pension scheme be restored
- Supervisors' grade pay be increased to 4800 from 4600
- Running staffs be given allowances as per the recommendations of the 7th CPC