Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, PG & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
2nd Floor, A Wing, Lok Nayak Bhawan
New Delhi, the 1st December, 2022
The undersigned is directed to say that it has been decided to fill up the vacancies in the Section Officers' grade of CSS purely on an ad-hoc basis by promoting the eligible officers.
2. Accordingly, approval of the competent authority is hereby conveyed for the issue of an eligibility list in terms of approved service for consideration for promotion to Section Officers' grade on ad-hoc basis as under:
3. Successful completion of mandatory Level B training is one of the mandatory eligibility conditions for the promotion of ASOs as Section Officers. Therefore, in respect of ASOs who are covered for consideration as per the eligibility list, Cadre Units may ensure that:
4. The Cadre units of CSS may conduct the Screening Committee meeting to assess the fitness or otherwise of the officers covered in the eligibility list for their promotion to the grade of Section Officers of CSS on ad-hoc basis immediately within a week subject to the following conditions:
5. Further, if any officer covered in the eligibility list is working in any cadre unit other than the one indicated against his/her name, the cadre unit, where he/she is presently posted, may conduct the Screening Committee meeting in respect of him/her, without referring the matter to this Department. However, the discrepancies and omissions, if any, in the list may be brought to the notice of this Department for corrections, while forwarding the Screening Committee recommendations.
6. If any officer covered for consideration as per the eligibility list is not clear from a vigilance angle, the sealed cover procedure shall be adopted. If an officer who has been found fit by the Screening Committee is currently undergoing penalty, such cases should also be informed to this Department with details such as the date of imposition of penalty, period of penalty etc.
7. The recommendations of the Screening Committee in respect of all the officers covered in the eligibility list and working in the respective cadre unit along with vigilance clearance of the officers who have been found fit may be furnished by the cadre units with the approval of the competent authority to this Department (CS-I) in the prescribed proforma (Annexure) at the earliest but not later than 15.12.2022.
8. Once the Screening Committee recommendations are received, this Department would issue the promotion orders centrally. The officers who have been found fit by the Screening Committee and clear from the vigilance angle will only be given ad-hoc promotion. The promoted officers will be retained in the same cadre unit against existing vacancies in that cadre unit. The officers who are in excess of sanctioned strength will be transferred out in accordance with RTP provisions.
9. The decision to issue the promotion order centrally at CS Division has been taken to ensure uniformity and to remove anomalies in pay fixation etc. It is, therefore, emphasized that cadre units will issue orders/notifications for the appointment of officers as Section Officers on an ad-hoc basis only after the promotion order is issued centrally by this Department.
10. The ad-hoc promotion will remain subject to the outcome of:
11. The cadre units are once again requested to conduct Screening Committee meetings immediately and furnish the information as per Annexure along with vigilance clearance of the officers who have been declared fit, a copy of the undertaking submitted by the officers and a copy of the minutes of Screening Committee duly approved by the Competent Authority, to this Department (CS-I Division) by 15.12.2022 positively.
Under Secretary to the Government of India