PM's Independence Day speech highlights
- In 1947, we achieved our independence under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi. After that we have had major changes in our country in each decade
- I believe that the last decade has been very good for India.
- Democratic forces have been strengthened and the common man has been empowered.
- The UPA has worked towards building a progressive and modern India.
- We want an India where there is social equality and people from no section of society face discrimination.
- We have dreamt of an India which provides employment to all its youth.
- We have taken steps towards these goals but the journey is a long one.
- We have introduced the Food Security Ordinance and we hope it will soon be passed into law.
- Without agricultural growth our villages can't prosper.
- To increase produce and give farmers their due, we have taken many steps.
- In the 11th plan period, agricultural growth was 3.6%
- It is difficult to measure poverty but no matter what definition we adopt, we can't negate the fact that after 2004, poverty has declined.
- More than 2 crore children are being provided scholarships by the Central government
- We have opened many institutes of higher education including 8 new IITs, 7 New IIMs, 16 new Central universities and 10 new NITs
- Percentage of school going children has doubled in the last 9 years. But we still have a long way to go
- We have a fair distance to go before the education system is improved.
- We need to improve the quality of education and for this teachers need to be better trained
- 11 crore children are being fed under the mid-day meal scheme but better implementation is need
- What happened in Bihar recently should not recur anywhere in the country
- We have strengthened the laws that deal with crime against women to ensure their safety and security
- Under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, 2 lakh km of roads have been made
- Maternal mortality rate and infant mortality rate have both fallen
- No polio case in the past two years
- There has been a lot of talk of economic decline. While that is true, it not just our country that's facing difficulty. All nations of the world are facing a recession
- I believe this slow growth wouldn't last for long
- Today as never before the countries of the world are connected to one another
- We have through our foreign policy ensured that our engagements with the major powers of the world increase
- We have tried to improve relations with our neighbours but relations with Pakistan can improve only when they don't allow their territory to be used for activities against India
- Our internal security situation has improved but we have not been able to prevent Naxal attacks fully. The attack on May 25 was an attack on India's democracy.
- We have empowered the common man through RTI. This law is being used widely and it often highlights corruption.
- I believe that this will help improve government's functioning
RBI cuts repo rates to 6.25. Loans set to get cheaper 🕑 04 Apr,19 12:42p.m.
Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute develops intravenous cancer drug 🕑 26 Mar,19 9:29p.m.
CPAO FAQ For the Beneficiaries Of NPS- Additional Relief Scheme 🕑 13 Mar,19 11:06p.m.
'One Nation One Card' mobility card launched 🕑 05 Mar,19 1:47p.m.
PFRDA working on minimum assured returns for NPS subscribers 🕑 24 Feb,19 1:58p.m.
EPFO's 8.65% interest rate for FY19 is actually equivalent to 13.5%. 🕑 24 Feb,19 11a.m.
EPFO to offer 8.65%, its 1st hike in 4 years 🕑 22 Feb,19 10:51a.m.
RBI cuts repo rate by 25bps. EMIs likely to get cheaper 🕑 07 Feb,19 1:02p.m.
Budget 2019 expectations : IT exemption limit likely to be hiked to Rs 5 lakh 🕑 17 Jan,19 9:29p.m.
Researchers develop plants that can remove cancer-causing pollutants 🕑 27 Dec,18 12:59p.m.